Sunday, March 30, 2014

I LIKED IT, BUT . . .

Seems I went overboard with the cryptic nature of the  narrative. The feedback I'm getting from people who've actually read the book has been generally  positive, however,  there seem to be a lot of "buts" following the initial praise..  Very often the qualifiers are about the plethora of typos and dropped . . . in the the text. Ooops! I dropped the word word.

I'm very grateful when my friendly critics cast aside their fear of hurting my feelings to make valuable comments that point  out serious flaws or confusing passages in the narrative. One very useful comment, which gave me an idea of the  scope of problems in the book, was "I liked it a lot, but I didn't understand what the hell was going on half the time."

Did anybody get it?
Barlow dies on  The Day
of the Dead in 2003.

No doubt I'll be  skewered if the book ever gets reviewed.  But I'm already resigned to that likelihood. I'm my own harshest  critic, and maybe with help of my readers I'll get it right when I rewrite the electronic edition on Kindle.

Will that matter? The number of people who read hard-copy books is shrinking rapidly theses days, I am told. But I have to wonder whether  digital literature is going to take it's place. Who's going to read a novel on their smart phone?




No comments:

Post a Comment